Director of Medicine: Pearl Korenblit, M.D.
For more than a century, Gouverneur has been meeting the healthcare needs of its community through the provision of quality ambulatory care and nursing facility services, regardless of a patient's ability to pay.
As the largest freestanding ambulatory care clinic in the New York City Health and Hospitals Corporation (HHC) system, Gouverneur Healthcare Services serves some 50,000 patients a year, mostly Hispanic and Chinese immigrants, and provides nearly 300,000 patient encounters at its main campus on Manhattan's Lower East Side and five satellite clinics.
The Department of Medicine and its subspecialties handle more than 40,000 of these patient visits annually.
In 1885 Gouverneur made history by becoming America's first public hospital to establish a tuberculosis clinic. It was also the first to employ a female physician on its ambulance service and the first to set up a day camp-on a boat!-for undernourished adults and children.
A century later Gouverneur established Project HELP, the first psychiatric mobile crisis unit for homeless mentally ill individuals. The range of clinical programs at Gouverneur today includes Chronic Disease Management, a Smoking Cessation Program, and the Manhattan Breast Partnership.
Currently under way at the Medical Clinic is an initiative to implement a more patient-centered approach that maximizes preparation, communication, and efficiency.
The affiliation between Gouverneur and NYU dates back to the mid-1970s. In 1991 the Primary Care Internal Medicine Residency Program expanded to include Gouverneur as a major outpatient and teaching center. Today 24 residents maintain continuity clinics at Gouverneur, and the hospital is a favorite site for medical students on their Ambulatory Care Medicine rotations.